Fall Checklist for Homeowners
Here are a few tips to help get your house ready for winter.
- 1Have your heating system checked by a licensed heating contractor. Replace dirty furnace filters.
- 2Have chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned if necessary.
- 3Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
- 4Clean your gutters. Overflowing water from clogged gutters can damage your roof and lead to cracks in your home's foundation.
- 5Check the supports, stairs, and railings on porches and decks. Make sure the handrails can support someone grabbing them to prevent from slipping on snow or ice.
- 6Test smoke and carbon monoxide monitors, inspect (or purchase) fire extinguishers and review fire escape plans.