Steps To Take If You’re Involved in a Crash
The adrenaline is pumping, your mind is racing, and you can’t believe it’s happened to you.
The chaos of a crash can make it hard to remember what to do. Here are some tips so you know exactly what to do if you’re ever faced with this emotionally charged situation.
- 1 Check yourself and your passengers for injuries. If you are not sure whether or not you’re injured, call an ambulance.
- 2 Check the occupants of other vehicles for injuries. (Be careful getting out of your vehicle.)
- 3 Turn on your vehicle's hazard lights.
- 4 Briefly inspect the damage to the vehicles. If the autos are still able to be driven, move them to the side of the road near the crash location to prevent secondary crashes. The only times you should not do this is if hazardous materials are being transported, someone is trapped in one of the vehicles, or there is a serious injury or death.
- 5 Call the police.
- 6 Exchange information with the other drivers:
- a. Names, addresses, phone numbers of all drivers and passengers involved
- b. License plate numbers, make, models, and descriptions of each vehicle involved
- c. Operator license numbers and insurance identification for all drivers involved
- d. Names, addresses, and phone numbers of as many witnesses as possible
- e. Names and badge numbers of all police officers at the scene
- 7Contact your Indiana Farmers agent or Indiana Farmers as soon as possible.
No one ever wants to be in a crash, but we are here to help you get back on the road as soon as possible.